How to Style your Accessories
Always wanted to know how to style your accessories? But dont know how?
Think of it as creating a beautiful still life. You can make a vignette on top of any flat surface: an entry table, bookshelf, countertop or window ledge. You can use accessories like vases, mirrors, plants, greenery, photos or other personal belongings to create a mood.
Here are some tips for creating striking vignettes in your home:
- Build your vignette around an anchoring object that adds height such as a lamp or mirror
- Choose objects to support the style and theme of your room. If your room is formal, a symmetrical design works best. If the room is casual, asymmetrical groupings are better.
- Use colour in your vignette that will harmonise with the room, perhaps varying in a few shades
- Vary the textures of objects. Mix hard and shiny accessories with rough and natural. Use weathered wood or iron architectural elements to introduce an unexpected texture.
- Display objects in odd numbers. Place several objects of similar shape, size and colour together in odd numbers for maximum impact. Groups of three or five work particularly well and are stronger visually than a group of two or four.
- Vary the height of the objects with high, mid and lower level. Use small pedestals to elevate items. Try stacking books or a box to create a platform for smaller objects.
- Create depth. Place objects from the back of the flat surface to the front instead of in a straight line the length of the surface. Try leaning artwork or mirror on the wall creating a sense of dimension.